To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 8:09 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Correct tools for 124 half shaft?

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Werner Fehlauer wrote:

John - thanks for the info - it really helps. The bolts on the half shafts
of this car are definitely 12-point, or triple square.  The Torx 50 is a
slightly loose fit, and since the spec for the "50" size is 8.83mm point to
point, I'm assuming that the XZN-10 is appropriate.
Now the main problem will be to somehow get the 2 stripped out (from using
the Torx bit) screws out - a feeble attempt with a vise grip resulted in
"polishing" the outside of the bolt head!  Probably doesn't help that M-B
probably used Lock-Tight on the threads, 16 years ago! May have to resort
to using the "blue wrench" (torch)!

No Problem. MB does have a loctite fetish-- they dont like things
coming loose. Ever. I think thats why the never use anti-sieze compounds
either (Differential drain plugs @300ft-lb to break loose anyone?)...

Does an Easy-out of any size fit the opening? Have you considered
judiciously grinding off the head (dremel and cut-off wheel?) and then
going after the remaining bolt with vice-grips or a small pipe wrench when
the axle is off? It should turn a LOT easier with no stretch on the bolt.
(pipe wrenches are great when you have a stubborn part because they bite
harder as more force is applied ... and you will end up replacing the part
anyhow)

-j.