To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 27, 2006 8:52 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Fuck?

the market for the 123 TDs has gone berzerk over the past few years.  i
bought mine 4 years ago for 2500 and really figured i was paying top dollar for it. I recently actually received a call along these lines a few months
ago:

Hello, you know where i can find diesel mercedes for sale.
no, not really, i only have one and i don't really want to sell it
ok, i come look at it
no,no i don't want to sell it.
what kind is it?
81 300TD
ok, i come see it . when is good for you?
no, no, it's a ratty car. you don't want it. i don't want to sell it. the rear quarter is smashed. it leaks a quart of oil every hundred miles. you
don't want it.
i come see.  when is good for you?

I had to hang up on the dude.

what a long way this is from when i bought my first benz diesel, a 72 220D,
original owner, all books and records, immaculately maintained and in mint
condition.  The seller couldn't even get an offers on it besides my $1500
one in six months of trying.

'twas a different world, huh?