I am, and that one looks really nice. Wish I had that kind of money hanging
around.

-Curt

Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 10:09:31 -0600
From: "Donald Snook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [MBZ] 116 300SD on Ebay item # 170064056650
To: <Mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Was someone looking for one of these. This one sure looks nice and low
miles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Mercedes-Benz-300SD-Turbo-Diesel_W0Q
QitemZ170064056650QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6330QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi
ewItem

Donald H. Snook

1990 300SEL 133K

http://mail.yahoo.com
From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri Dec 29 18:12:27 2006
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:09:16 -0500
From: Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] M1

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> <<Well darnit, I had become under the impression that 0W Mobil 1 was not
>> harmful. The bottle doesn't list any precautions, and I've been told that it
>> only acts as a "0 weight" oil when cold - so no problemo.>>
>>
> It isn't harmful. The amount of bad information and boneheaded opinions on
> this subject are positively cosmic.

The biggest detriment to using M-1 0W-40 is that the viscosity when hot
(rated as 40) is actually at the very low end of the range for 40 weight
oils (there isn't one value but a rather large range). It's much more
like other M-1 xW-30 weight oils than the other M-1 5W-40 weight oils.

All of the M-1 oils have additives that will dissolve most sludge and
will result in seals that have already swollen to shrink toward their
original size. This CAN result in increase  oil leaks. In addition, ALL
of the Mobil 1 oils have additives that will inhibit leaking at soft
seals, BUT it takes time for them to work so it is usual when changing
from conventional to Mobil synthetics, for oil leaks (that already
exist) to first increase and then decrease over about 5-10kmi. If you
remove the M-1 and replace it with some other oil before the additive
works, you will of course NOT benefit from the seal swelling effect and
the leaks may actually get worse.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.