On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, LarryT wrote:
>     My CC Amp died a while back & I thougt I;d try to resolder the CC Amp on
> my '78 240D -  But I'm not ready to change the capacitors.  Which ones do I
> buy?  Does Radio Shack carry them?
>
>     Also, the mechanics of resoldering the joints of the amp - I assume I
> touch the soldered connection until it loosens and then solder it back?

I dont know if (and would be suprised if) Radio Shack even lists any
electronics components any more.  I bought some high temp/long life ones
from digikey or mouser when I did mine... The value of the caps may vary
by design, but the problem ones are the electorlytic types and on the CC's
they are generally axial lead ones.

In THEORY it is a matter of touching the joint and reflowing the solder.
In practice:

The PCB's are made of a phenolic material (as opposed to fiberglass),
phenolic is MUCh cheaper but is mildly hygroscopic.  This is dealt with by
putting a "conformal coating" (ie varnish) on the PCB's, both sides, after
the things are complete.

The original solder is pretty crappy crap.

You will need to strip off the old coating on the solder side. Varnish
stripper removes it well enough. paint it on, wait for the stuff to bubble
then rinse it off under cold water.  Shake it off good and hard and let it
air-dry overnight.

Because of the crappy solder, and any varnish residue, you want to remove
the old solder. You dont need a desoldering station or wick, I just used a
soldapult/solder sucker to do the job.  You then use NEW good solder to
redo each and every joint properly (I prefer kester .032 63-37 for
DIP/transistor PCB's). You need to work quickly at desoldering so as to
not toast any components. You should let the part cool before resoldering
IMHO. I will mentally divide the board into sections then desolder that
section, then go back and resolder it.  After you are all done, hold the
board up to a light and you should not see ANY light through any of the
holes where you have solder joints. If you see light, remove the solder
and redo it.

I tried reflowing the solder, then tried adding fresh solder, and no
matter how many times I tried I kept getting joints that passed light
(failed visual inspection), so they were either electrically bad or going
to go electrically bad.  I finally got PO'ed enough to figure &*^* it and
went and desoldered it all and resoldered it and the pinholes went away.

Oh yeah you should probably swap out the caps while you have that region
desoldered ;) be careful not to lift any pads or traces.

After all the joints are good, then you need to re-coat/seal the board to
keep it from absorbing water vapor over the next 20-30 years... I used a
proper flux remover [for the type of flux compound used by the solder that
I was working with] to clean any residue off the board and then put a new
coating on it. (2 light layers)

Worked like a charm.  Showed my wife how it saved a couple hundred
dollars. I should probably go do the same thing for the 85 300d.

Oh yeah, you should not need more than a 25 watt iron (period) for that
job. I htink i used a 12 or 15 watt pencil.
-j.