I think you can do it. Most people would find it not worthwhile to put a kit in. I don't remember the entire sequence, but on a vickers pump you unscrew each of the 4 pumps for the suspension using a pin wrench (spanner), then the rest comes apart with circlips. Rusty will need all the numbers on the pump to get you the right seal kit. You may want a spare in case you bung up the shaft seal.

At 07:40 AM 1/2/2007, you wrote:
Thanks!

I might order the kit and see what happens.

Trampas

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Loren Faeth
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 9:23 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 91 560SEL suspension pump

The tandem pump has a kit available from Rusty for about $75-80.  It is a
BEAR to replace the shaft seal.  It is supposed to take some combination of
special tools.  Potomac German Will sell you a good pump for $125 at last
report (March 06).  You are money ahead to replace the pump.  One lister
sent his pump and the kit to Star Motors in NY to replace the shaft seals
with the proper tool, but I think that was another $75 or so plus freight
both ways.  The result was possibly better than the used pump, but maybe
not...

Loren
88TE, Tandem pump
87TD, Tandem pump

At 04:30 PM 1/1/2007, you wrote:
>I was looking under the 560SEL and notice what appears to be suspension oil
>leaking from near front of engine. It appears to be coming from the
>suspension pump, I was wondering if this was a common failure and if they
>make a repair kit?
>

>Thanks
>
>Trampas

Loren Faeth