I find that road dirt makes the white nylon less conspicuous in short
order. If the muffler is tied up into place, I don't think many
tailgaters will be able to see it - if you don't leave long dangling
ends. I've never had one jump off. I either use a couple of square
knots (not optimal, but effective so far), or one of those specialized
nautical knots - that I only learn long enough to use once every
several years. If I've used it recently, I use it on the muffler. If
it's been too long, then it gets a square knot or two.
It seemed like I was replacing those rubber donuts every year or two
(regardless of source) - multiplied by too many cars, and it becomes a
hassle that's easily avoided with a bit of nylon.

--
OK Don, KD5NRO
Norman, OK