From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Mike Canfield
Sent: Friday, January 05, 2007 7:07 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] compression ratio 300SL

Compression ratio is the biggest factor in octane requirement......Higher
compression = more chance of preignition and dictates use of higher octane

Ask any performance engine builder if an engine with higher than 10:1
compression will require high octane to keep preignition to a minimum.

Timing is the next most relevant factor.

Mike