On Wed, 10 Jan 2007, kevin kraly wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification.  My original thought was that the sensor was
> overridden once the wheel hit the detent, but I didn't know why.

I've got one of them here (early 126 type 3 wheel) and it is a PC board
with a pot on it and some traces in an arc. The wheel has metal fingers
that short out the traces at the two ends of travel.

Here's what I can figure out looking at it, it has 7 pin sockets, I'll
number them (looking into the sockets) :
1 2 3
  4
5 6 7

The pot is connected so that the "Min" end of the element is on pin 7, the
"Max" end on 2 and the wiper on 3. When the wheel is at "Max", it shorts 5
and 6. At "Min" it shorts 1,5 and 7. Anywhere else in its travel, the
wheel shorts 4 and 5.

HTH (clear as mud right?) (dont have a digicam handy)

-j.
--
1985 300D 223k "Gerta"
1991 Jeep Cherokee 149k "the fishbowl"