Somehow "brainwashing" comes to mind. With media tools, like ads and other
marketing aids, the public opinion can be, and obviously is, turned in one
direction or another.
Escapes me why diesels had been made looking bad ever since the 80's. Than
there were MB's, Volvos, VW's, Peugeots, Mazdas and what not available with
diesels and  disappeared one by one 'cause they were "sluggish, stank and
smoked".
Just about at the same time diesel pickups became popular.