Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:37:00 -0800
From: David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Why are the FEDS boycotting diesel cars? (used to
 be) Ford Diesels?
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Hans Neureiter wrote:
> Funny how that thread veered off from Diesels in NA to Mazda.
> The article exclaims that cars with diesels don't sell in the USA.
> They are not available, that's why.

VW TDIs tend not to stay on the lot long, but I suspect VW is carefully
limiting supply to make sure that stays true.

Americans just aren't as keen on diesels as Europeans, present company
excepted.  Part of this is because diesel is taxed less than gasoline
in
Europe, whereas is the opposite here, which makes the financial
incentives to buy diesels a lot lower.  It will also take a while for
the new, cleaner diesels to win people over.  A lot of people still
think of diesel cars as smelly, sooty, noisy, underpowered vehicles
that
won't start in cold weather.  Diesels are well accepted in the truck
market but seeing Ford Powerstrokes clattering and belching soot
doesn't
help people accept the same technology in cars. ;)

Besides the "gee whiz" factor, I think a big reason hybrids have caught
the public's attention is they're seen as delivering diesel fuel
economy, but with "clean" gasoline instead of stinky, sooty diesel.

Have a burning question? Go to Yahoo! Answers and get answers from real people
who know.