Yeah, It's supposed to be closer to 25F this afternoon and I'm hoping to get
out before dark so hoping I won't need the headlights, rear defroster nor as
much for starting.  I'll plug in the block heater so tomorrow's single
digits hopefully won't be as bad, and if nothing else it gets a nice 45
minute charge about 4 times a week.  The 15 minute drives are probably about
10 times a week, but normally they're not this cold and it's enough to get
the temp up to 80C.

Levi

On 1/17/07, Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> HOWEVER...  Apparently when it gets down around 5F, I need to let OFF
> the
> fuel...  My startup went like this:
> Glow light went off around 15 seconds.  I started cranking around 25
> seconds
> with the fuel to the floor.  cranked for maybe 5-10 seconds (rather
> slowly)
> and it started to make some sounds of combustion, then started dying
> out
> again.  I let it crank for maybe another 5 seconds.  Decided to press
> my
> luck and try for another glow cycle.  I think I let it go for like 30
> seconds this time.  Tried cranking again with the pedal floored and
> again it
> slighty sounded like it was going to start, then started dying again.
> So I
> took my foot off the fuel and after a couple seconds it started coming
> life.  It was about half running with the starter still helping for a
> few
> seconds while I tried to feed in just enough fuel to keep it running.

I continue to be impressed with the 200D's cold-starting ability.
It must have _very_ good compression.  Even at its worst it has started
very easily in comparison.  I'm sure the POS battery is its weakest
link right now.  There's no doubt the car has a no-start temperature,
and that we've been pretty close to it here lately, but so far, so
good...  This car exhibits none of the coughing and puking of the
SDL when cold-starting, and that car lives in a semi-warm garage.
(It probably has air-leaky IP seals.)

Of course, at home I use the block heater a lot.  No sense
making it any harder than I have to to start.

> I'm just hoping I got enough charge back in the battery on my
> 15 minute trip to work with the defrosters and headlights and
> what not on.

'Enough'?  Perhaps, but certainly you didn't get a full charge
back in in only that time.  Not with what it sounds like you took
out.  Get in some longer drives, or invest in a small battery
charger for occasional overnight refreshment.

-- Jim