Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 22:12:02 -0500
From: "Werner Fehlauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Where to get Mobil 1 (was:  Zerex G-05)
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Yes, I could certainly be out of date, since I usually buy about 8
gallons
at a time, and that lasts a couple of years for me.  Actually, I
thought the
Truck&SUV Mobil1 had disappeared with their last change, since it
disappeared from local shelves.  But I suspect that Delvac1 will be
around a
bit longer, as real truckers don't seem to have such short attention
spans
as car drivers seem to have - hence the maketeers at Exxon-Mobil with
their
constantly changing numbers and bottle shapes and colors.  Also, note
that
the advertising says that the Truck&SUV is for gasoline engines,
Diesels
don't seem to be included.

Anyway, I wouldn't want 5W-30 in my Diesel unless I lived somewhere
North of
Calgary.  I like the idea of 15W-40 standing up to the temperatures and
pressures on my engines!

Some of us old-timers remember the gas crunch days of the 70s, when the
car
manufacturers figured out that by using thinner oils, they could save a
few
horsepower, and hence improve mileage.  I believe the trend to 0W and
5W
oils is rooted in this concept, which is a good idea as long as you get
rid
of the car before it gets too many miles on it.  The manufacturers have
vested interest in getting people to buy new cars - not keep them for
20-30
years!

Using too "thin" and oil was a big part of the downfall of GM and their
5.7
V-8 Diesel - GM said to use straight 30W, and the gas stations put in
10W-40! It had to be better, because it cost more, right? WRONG!

Werner