Tom,

I drive a 97 e320 on a daily basis. Here are the things that have come up on mine over the past three years:

1. Transmission: The tranny is controlled by a computer and the cable that connects the two weeps tranny fluid into the controller. You need to replace the seal and wiring harness, and clean the fluid that will has accumulated in the control housing. It is located on passenger side of engine compartment under a black plastic lid. Mine started to not shift out of first gear when cold, and I could smell something a little funny. Took the controller apart and it was about half-way dipped in fluid. Cleaned it good with electronic parts cleaner, replaced the seal and cable, and has been a lot better. Still likes to stay in first now and then, but going to N and back to P fixes it.

2. HVAC filters: These need to be replaced as soon as you get the car - they clog, and then cause the blower motor to overheat and blow the control module. Expensive to fix, filters are cheap.

3. Rust: My car was from Georgia and only in NY 2 years when I bought it. Over the past three years, rust has started to form here and there. I fix it as it starts, but not something that I like.

4. Head gasket leak: These motors are known to weep a little oil from the head gasket in the front. Mine had traces of doing it when I bought it, but after I put Mobil 1 in it, it appears to have stopped.

5. Light bulbs: seems I have had to replace quite a few light bulbs.

Other then that, mine has been a good car.

Dave Wakin

My granddaughter is looking at a 1997 E320 with 90k miles on it. Does
anyone have any advice about this model vehicle? The price is $9995.00.