Peter Frederick wrote:
> Speaking of pressure vs flow, I remember hearing that in the 70's, Alfa
> Romeo had big warnings in their owner's manuals about not exceeding
> 2000 rpm until the oil pressure came down off the peg at idle -- seems
> that oil in those days was viscous enough at low temperature that there
> was essentially no flow to the cams until the engine warmed up, and if
> you ran the revs up to 6000 cold the cam lobes wore off pretty
> fast.....

Even my '89 VW Cabriolet has a note in the owner's manual to avoid high
RPM until the oil temperature is over 50 C, which corresponds to the
bottom peg on the oil temperature gauge.  I seem to recall hearing that
some cars had a three-state temperature light that would light up blue
at cold temperatures to remind you to take it easy, but I can't recall
which ones.

Sometimes I wonder just how high the oil pressure in a Mercedes gets
after a cold start.  The gauges only go up to 3, of course, so we can't
really know.  My Cabriolet has a 5 bar pressure gauge and it usually
pegs out on cold starts.  I'm sure a Mercedes does even better.