BTW, one of my pet peeves is the 450 SL owners who call their cars
"convertables" [sic].  They are wrong on two counts: spelling and the
fact that SLs are roadsters.

I always thought that it was the presence of the bolt-on coupe
hardtop that made it 'convertible': from coupe to roadster and
back.  The point was stretched long ago to include the folding
soft top as well.  The true roadsters I always thought were
equipped, at best, with a tonneau cover.  Flying goggles, trench
coats, and long scarves too.  But I'm willing to be wrong!

-- Jim