Donald - I suspect your '90 SEL has similar recommendations to my '90 D - and that says to change the diff lube every 30k miles. I use Mobil1 gear oil. The thing to do FIRST is to make sure you can get the "fill" plug out - only then drain the lube from the bottom plug. Have a good 14MM male wrench, with a long breaker bar, as they are often very tight. Filling can be a pain, and a device to get the lube oil up and in is very handy.

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald Snook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 11:19 AM
Subject: [MBZ] Rear Diff Service

I was considering servicing the rear differential on my car 1990 300SEL.
I could not find anything in the service records where that has been
done in a long time.   I have a few questions:

1. What is the Mercedes suggested service interval on this car?
2. is it just 80/90 gear oil or is there special MB stuff?
3. Does Mobil 1 make something for this?
4. Can I just use the top-sider oil sucker for this?
5. Is it better to take off the cover and clean out all the gunk?
6. Anything in particular I should know about how to do this.  I
have done it several times on GM cars, but I can't remember ever doing
it on a Benz (despite owning 6 of them over 12 years).

Donald H. Snook

McDonald, Tinker, Skaer, Quinn & Herrington, P.A.

300 West Douglas

P.O. Box 207

Wichita, Kansas 67201 0207

Tel. (316) 263-5851

This confidential message may be subject to the attorney-client
privilege or protected by the attorney work-product doctrine. If you
have received this message in error, please delete it and notify me.