tom savage wrote:

> Equally important is how the car is used.  As an extreme example, UPS
> package cars are maintained like nothing else, but a Cummins 6BT is
> lucky to go 300k miles before it wears out; they're often toast at 250k.
>   The Chebby 292s are only good for 120k (yeah, they've still got cars
> from the late '70s out running around).
>
> Constant heavy loads, abusive drivers, and a couple hundred starts a day
>   add up pretty quickly.  Stupid low gearing on some of them doesn't
> help, either; a 5.81:1 rear end and a four speed with granny first gear
> has the engine pretty wound up all the time.

My driver showed me his car a few years ago. 1995 model, 12v 6BT, Bosch P7100,
Spicer 5sp/OD, I think it had about 295k on it and was running just fine. When
you listen to them run through the gears you get the impression that it's
full throttle every time unless somebody is in front of them.

Mitch.