Hi Allen;
my tach. sender, amplifier , or as M.B. mech. calls "Transducer" was
doing the same; intermittent working; got one on ebay; ok; thought well,
i can't loose much; I'll tear into this; about an hour or more carefully
removing the silicone/ i noticed 2 breaks in solder around 2 wires; i
just re soldered all connections on circuit board; now works ok; so put
it back in car been working for over a year now; But as 1 or both of the
JIM'S suggest; it could also need a new capacitor or other small elect.
part

oh i did not put silicone back; maybe need to for heat or vibration
issues???

Steve