pc users put up with it because they really don't get what an easy
alternative there is out there.

i remember before i owned a mercedes being told how mercedes is the
most expensive car ever to keep on the road, how even a 240D will
bankrupt all but the rich and famous.

there is a whole similar mac propaganda mythology.  mac hardware is
more expensive than equivalent pc hardware by a factor of several.
that since most everyone uses pcs, your mac will be useless if you
need files to share work with anyone else.  that mac's are good if you
are a graphic artist, but not as good as windoze for serious business
applications.

so you take these stories at face value and continue to suffer the
indignities of windoze.  and then you wake up one day and realize that
it is just a bunch of lies to prop up a desperately poor product.

and then you are converted.