John - what made you decide that the front control arms needed changing with so few miles? I know its the American way to expect Detroit products to need new shocks and suspension parts before 100k miles, but unless you have some special circumstances, I would be surprised if your 124 wore out those parts so soon. My '90 124 gets the annual Virginia dealer inspection, with nothing recommended other than a headlight plastic surround needing replacement due to State mandates. The only thing the dealer ever recommended, when I had them do their 4-wheel alignment, was to replace the lower ball joints (which still looked OK to me), and that was around 220k miles. The control arms, bushings, shocks, front and rear, are still all original (except for the front ball joints), and the car rides very well, and doesn't wander. Tire wear is even and very minimal, even with occasional track time. I did replace the dirt boots on the front shocks, as well as the steering shock (common problem but inexpensive). Oh, the front wheel bearings were finally repacked at 230k miles, and the only work was to put in new M-B grease.

Werner

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Peterson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:06 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Slightly Wandering Posterior

I'm having the control arms changed out in the front of my 124, BUT what
can I do about the slightly wandering rear end?  I get a slight side to
side wandering above 40mph

Is this the rear end or could it be related to my spoiled control arms?

If it is the rear, which bushing do I need to change out.  I might do
them at the same time.

Thanks friends!

John Peterson
1991 300D 2.5 81k