I'd definitely do the tranny flush/filter change.  That's fixed any of 3
slight issues I've had with both of our 97' Sube tranny's.  Though none of
those were really slipping.  Twice mine would just drop out of a gear for a
second if I held it to the floor, but letting up on the gas dropped it back
in.  And my wife's was keeping the center clutch engaged a bit too much so
it was binding a bit turning in parking lots.  All of these issues were with
around 100K miles on that set of tranny fluid/filter though and the
flush/filter change fixed them.  The only Slipping I've dealt with was when
I tried putting in synthetic fluid in mine with 110K miles on it.
Apparently mine's worn enough that it doesn't like synthetic.

The only Sube groups I'm on are the Yahoo Outback Sport lists.   Not bad
groups by any means, but there seems to only be a handful of people who have
a whole lot of knowledge.

Levi