Today I went to do some more investigating:
Excessive blow-by is not evident. The turbo is slightly oily, but the
shaft is moving a little in radial direction.
The motor started right up. A huge, scary clunk at first that turned
into a steady, loud hammering. Oil pressure first pegged and went to
2.5 bar at a steady 800 RPM idle.
When operating temp reached 85 C (after ~ 5 min.) pressure dropped to
slightly above 1 with a few short excursions to below 1 bar.
Loosening the injector lines resulted in a noticeable reduction of
knock intensity but was equal for each cylinder.
Using a stethoscope, the highest intensity of the knock is apparent
near the front crank seal and at the Vac.pump housing.
Lots of blue smoke at first that never really cleared.
Motor ran for at least 20 minutes until turned off.
Questions:
Can injectors/prechambers be ruled out as major cause?
Does oil pressure behavior indicate crank bearing failure?
Does most noise coming from front crank seal indicate balancer failure?
Do I have a conglomeration of failing parts (Turbo seal = blue smoke, etc.)
My conclusion so far: 90% bottom end problem. But what?