yes, I meant to put that in my post also, but the ford relay is a good backup for either flaky starter switches or flaky glow plug switches. According to the book, the glow circuit stays energized while the starter is on. The pushbutton system however, makes a cheap manual afterglow system.

At 10:28 PM 3/22/2007, you wrote:
> They do already -- on the pull knob type the dash indicator is bypassed
> to compensate for the voltage and current drop from cranking.

Interesting!  I didn't know that.  I did know the 'cigar lighter'
goes out while cranking.  (Usually I don't have to crank long enough
to notice this.)

-- Jim