Loren:

Yep, I was covering La Carrera this year, and saw and talked to those guys. One of them was the only car in the field that ran stock seats-- and this was in a '59 (I believe) 220s. Column shift, stock wheels, the whole stock bit. He said not so fast--about 100, 110 tops, but tougher than a pine knot. His was an unmodified, unrestored ex- argentinian taxi.

Wouldn't trade the 300SD's five-link for the old swing axle on rough twisty roads though.

Seriously, the 126 flying down frost-heaved Maine backroads was one of the finest examples of great suspension engineering I've ever experienced. The car stuck to the road even around washboard corners, and I felt quite secure and very comfortable. My 75-year-old father was along for the ride. His first car was a '52 TD, and he's owned a sunbeam alpine, Volvos and Saab's. He said none of them could have kept up with us one what we were driving on and survived. And we got 27.2 mpg for the trip.

Is that steering wheel off yet? :-)

Dan

Loren wrote:

Amen   That is a good description of what Mercedes do best.

The new STAR has an article about 3 elderly MBs running in the Carrera
Panamerica, 2 pontons and a 111.  Two of the trio won their class, the
third, with an ameteur driver did respectably.  All were essentially
stock.  110s and 111 on  rough terrain are amazing.  I never drove a
ponton, so i can't say about them.