Thanks Peter . I had overlooked that section, I will check the universal joint bearings . I did put all 4 wheels on the stands and 'ran' the car ,oddly the noise is not there when on the stands;on the road it starts around 30Kph and stays at the same pitch and level .It does sound like the gritty bad wheel bearings which I had replaced.
regards
mak

From: "Peter Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2007 12:20 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] w 108 wheel bearing noise

The universal joint can go bad in those cars, it's user replaceable, I
think, held in place with circlips.  they can grind when dry.

Diff noises change with load and speed -- a steady "tram car" sound
that changes pitch with speed unrelated to engine speed is likely a
diff noise, it will appear to be loudest in the front of the
trunk/center of the rear seat area.

Peter