-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of ernest breakfield
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 3:14 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] From Greenwire -- AIR POLLUTION: EPA issues guidance
fordiesel engine NOx controls

huh?
    i had a little difficulty with this one line:
"NOx is a primary component of ground-level ozone, the nation's leading
air pollution threat, and is also a precursor pollutant in the formation
of fine particulate matter, or soot..."

    sounds like they're trying to say particulate matter is caused by
some reaction with NOx. am i misinterpreting this, or how's that work?

cheers!

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    This Greenwire story was sent to you by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>    [1]Greenwire
>    An E&E Publishing Service
>
> Greenwire -- Friday, March 30, 2007
>
> AIR POLLUTION: EPA issues guidance for diesel engine NOx controls
>
> Daniel Cusick, Greenwire reporter
>
>    Tens of millions of tons of diesel fuel pollution, including nitrogen
oxides
>    (NOx) and particulate matter, could be reduced under new U.S. EPA guidance
>    that allows automakers to install selective catalyst reduction (SCR)
>    technology on diesel-powered cars and trucks, the agency said today.
>
>    The [2]guidance, issued this week in a 10-page memo from Karl J. Simon,
>    EPA's acting compliance and innovative director, to automakers, will help
>    manufacturers comply with tough new emissions standards for NOx emitted
from
>    diesel engines.
>
>    The standard, set at 0.20 grams of NOx per brake horsepower-hour, is being
>    phased in between model years 2007 to 2010, according to EPA. NOx is a
>    primary component of ground-level ozone, the nation's leading air pollution
>    threat, and is also a precursor pollutant in the formation of fine
>    particulate matter, or soot, that affects millions with asthma, bronchitis
>    or other lung ailments.
>
>    Since EPA published its diesel engine NOx standard in 2001, engine makers
>    have experimented with a variety of technologies to control the pollutant.
>    Selective catalytic reduction, which is already widely used to control NOx
>    from area source emitters such as industrial plants, ultimately won favor
>    with EPA and manufacturers because it can achieve as high as 90 percent
>    reductions in NOx.
>
>    In a release, EPA said the new guidance on emission certification
procedures
>    for on-road diesel engines using SCR technology "helps pave the way for
>    putting more innovative and fuel-efficient clean diesel cars and trucks on
>    America's roads."
>
>    While endorsing the move toward greater use of SCR on diesel engines, Simon
>    noted that the technology "is still evolving" and added that EPA "reserves
>    the right to make any necessary changes" to the guidance as conditions
>    warrant.
>
>    One concern about SCR's use in motor vehicle engines is that the technology
>    requires regular replenishment of a NOx reducing agent, usually ammonia or
>    urea, to be effective. If an engine were to run out of its reducing agent
>    while in use, its NOx reduction capability would drop to zero, according to
>    EPA.
>
>    "Because the NOx efficiency and thus the NOx emissions performance of an
SCR