The straight grained locust splits nice. I will split that all day with a maul.......Knots, on the other hand usually get hacked up with the chain saw. They suck.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 3:18 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Wood Splitters

I did split some locust wood with it. sections that were 18" long and maybe
10-12" across. That is some tough wood! It split it with no problem, but you
had to run the splitter all the way throught  it. That wood just does not
want to come apart. It sure burns good, hot, and long though.

Did not have any big knots. Not sure it would have been able to split that
or not.