A buddy of mine has a client who makes all kinds of canned solvents and cleaners and lubes and such. He gave me some cans of some sort of citrus-y solvent that also seemed to have some kind of alcohol in it. It wasn't nasty and smelled pretty good, and was death on cleaning some brakes and wheels and other gunk on Brunnhilde. I'll see if I can dig up the catalog or web site and see if I might have some of around somewhere.

Otherwise, white vinegar is reported to be an excellent cleaner, a bit acidic but benign.

--R

Allan Streib wrote:
"Alex Chamberlain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Anyone know what pros do when they are planning to paint, chrome, or
powdercoat wheels?  There must be some definitive surfactant or
solvent out there that lets you get every last bit of brake dust
without endless scrubbing in the nooks and crannies (those of you
with BBS-type spiderweb wheels know what I'm talking about) but
doesn't harm the aluminum.

There probably is, but likely a nasty chlorinated hydrocarbon that you
would not want to use it outside of a controlled, industrial setting.