On 5/10/07, TimothyPilgrim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I'm told by one former-Benz now indy mechanic that replacing the seals
for the first transfer case (which had some seepage upon initial
inspection) would be a $500 job. I'm told by another former-Benz now
indy mechanic that there is only one shop in North America that can
rebuild the tranfer case and it's obviously not cheap. I'm considering
merely leaving the car as it is or going the seal replacement route.
The only downside to having a RWD 4Matic is the increase fuel
consumption, which is horrific compared to my thrifty little VW TDI.

Ugh, that brings back memories.  This was exactly the same set of
circumstances that lead me to get rid of my E30 BMW 325iX.  Once the
transfer case runs dry you just have a noisy, heavy RWD car, and
rebuilding it or finding a used one is no guarantee that it won't just
fail again, thanks to poor design.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo
'93 Isuzu Trooper