Loren Faeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Wrote:

>WIlton,
>
>I think I missed something.  Why is your trans pronounced dead?  You
>said there is a delay in shifting into reverse.  TO me that is
>normal, at least for trans with 100k to 200k or more.  You also said
>that sometimes you need to rev the engine a little to get the shift
>into reverse.  I've had that condition too, for years without a
>failure.  A little frustrating, but no cause to spend 2-3k dollars
>that I can see.

Wilton,

Mine started doing the same at least 50,000 miles ago.  I put mine in
reverse, wait a few seconds then slowly goose the gas petal and back up.
(If I just depress the petal, it slams HARD into reverse)  In below-zero
weather, which I KNOW you don't have in Jacksonville!  (Father in law is
retired navy living in Atlantic Beach) sometimes it slips going forward
till it warms up....then it's fine.

My mechanic said I'm doing well at 260K + miles, probably because I don't
abuse it and work around it's personality, but no point in re-building it
till it does not work.  I also religiously change the tranny fluid and
filter every 45K, now, with Mobil Synthetic.

Angelo Giaimo
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(845)894-4296 ; fax: 892-6235 ;

1990 350SDL w/26X,000 miles.