I am planning on swapping a 5 speed into my 230E, I stripped a 230TE bare and have all the parts to do the job. Researching the project it became obvious that MB uses different parts in a manual engine vs a auto engine. This is shown in the engine number (can't remember which one it is), so you may well have to strip down the engines and swap over the bottom end. I am planning on using the manual motor out of the 230TE and just whack the whole thing in. I really don't know how much of a fairy tale the 'turbo motors break manual transmissions' is, this is the sort of legend that comes from people putting a tired gearbox behind a fresh motor and then trying to blame the torque of the motor for their laziness in not rebuilding the gearbox. However MB may use a different diff ratio, so it may pay for you to swap diffs over as well. Anyway I am sure this sort of thing is being done all the time because the cost of rebuilding autos is becoming more expensive every day and the biggest problem is finding a tech with the skills to do the work properly. Compare that to the amount of skill required to rebuild a maual transmission. Lastly, I wouldn't bother doing this unless the car is really good and rust free. One last thing, don't forget that you have to change speedo over as well I think or figure out if it is accurate with a 5 speed, also I would recommend overhauling the slave cylinder while you got easy access.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Wittnebel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 12:21 AM
Subject: [MBZ] Anybody ever swap a 5-speed into 123 wagon?

I have an 85 123 wagon with the regular slushbox. It has only 160K mi
on it and is still going strong. I have no intention of getting rid of
the thing as it seems to improve with age.

I recently identified a gray market 300d (sedan) of similar vintage
with a bad motor which has the 5-speed, and am thinking about doing the
transmission switch.

Anyone ever do this before? How painful is it?

I know if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I think I would enjoy the
next 200K miles more with a manual shifter, Compared to what it would
cost to buy a new(er) car, this seems a reasonable investment in my
driving satisfaction.

Informed comments appreciated,
Karl