A friend of mine has some of those old 1.5 Rabbits.......I will see if he has a spare alternator around for you if you would like.

Mike
----- Original Message ----- From: "Allan Streib" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2007 9:43 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT '78 VW Rabbit questions

Good source for parts is www.germanautoparts.com.  Email
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  I wouldn't recommend them for MB parts;
despite they name they are really pretty much VW/Audi oriented.

Or maybe Rusty -- don't know if he handles VW parts.

Allan

"Kevin Kraly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Well, we've had our hands on the free '78 Rabbit for a whole week now. This
was the one that had been sitting for a couple years due to a bad
alternator. The alternator has been removed which, I believe, could be the
source of our problem.  We installed new battery cables, but nothing is
working in the car, no accessories, lights, turn signals, nada. It will run
when gas is put into the throttle body, but it can only be started by
jumping the solenoid. I'm guessing that the alt completes the circuits, and everything will work normally once the "CORRECT alternator is installed and connected. This is a problem since the original one isn't around to match
up to buy the correct one.  These old, German cars just seem to call my
name.

--
1983 300D
1966 230