It seems than at Fri, 25 May 2007 09:33:24 -0500, Dan wrote:

> On May 25, 2007, at 9:07 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Overdrive creates tons of
> > heat in any tranny if it's pulling hard and that heat will destroy
> > junk US
> > made trannies.
>
> That's what I thought, too, but it wasn't the case, at least with my
> 700R4. I pulled a 26', 4000lb airstream for a while with a caprice
> wagon, and installed a trans temp gauge and a big cooler.

The GM 700R4 is know to slip because the piston for 4th doesn't
supply enough force for the band. Especially if the engine is
strong. I believe the Corvette version solved the problem. But
it is risky to generate lots of torque in overdrive on a stock
transmission. With a temp gauge, I would think the slip would
cause enough heat to be obvious - but maybe not soon enough.

On one of the 700R4 that have passed through my Suburban I could
see the slip with the tachometer. At that point the transmission
was about to loose the front pump. Quite unrelated to a slipping
band!

I'm glad yours survived. *smile*

--          Philip, pretending to be an expert.