Hi, All.
When bought this car it had a giant oil leak from the front timing cover,
broken in 3 places from (I guess) a broken chain, also pan had chip out of it.
Ran well and did not smoke. Found that the engine had been replaced with one
from an '85 with manual trans.
This late '84 2.2 190D  has had the head redone, (valves, guides, 0.007" planed
off etc.) has no oil pressure to the camshaft. Lifters rattle and are all
bereft of tension, even the new one that came rock hard from Rusty. With cam
cover off, engine running there is no squirt from the cam towers on to the cam
itself. Initially I had the wrong head (J/Y replacement early '84, who knew?)
Didn't run the wrong head. Rusty bailed me out with his extensive knowledge of
MB's (All Hail Rusty!) and he sent me the correct gasket.  When running with
the correct head, runs well and starts instantly and has excellent oil
pressure. OK, Oh most wonderful and knowlegeable list Magi, what have I f**ked
up?
Fred Moir
Lynn MA
1984 190D 2.2 Ailing