To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2007 11:48 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] torque wrench shopping

I've read that the split beam is more accurate over the long term, and
it seems likely to me. Both the split beam and the dial types require
someone to be able to see the indicator directly to read it while
applying torque.This has been an issue for me in some instances in the
past. There is no such issue with the click types. I'm subscribing the
"consistent torque is better than absolute accuracy" theory, and have
three Craftsman click types, covering different ranges and sizes. I
ought to get the two older ones calibrated, but haven't. I did check
one against a split beam last year, and as best as we could tell, it
was still accurate.

Do check the manual for the head bolt tightening requirements - if
they are of the stretch bolt "turn 90 degrees, then another 90
degrees", a fancy torque wrench won't be of much use. The head bolts
on my cast iron 117 were of the usual torque in two steps, then loosen
a little and re-torque after reaching operating temperature variety -
not all MB engines are the same!