Brake day.  I didn't finish, unfortunately.  As always, removing the
_second_ puck is always the hard part.  Finally I fabricated a
seal/clamp out of a big washer with a ring of inner tube rubber glued
to it, and two 6x2x1/4" strips of heavy metal strapping to serve as a
clamp.  I had to notch one of them to let the pipe from the grease gun
fit through.  With two C clamps I could then clamp the seal into place
yet still leave enough room for the other puck to come out.  It just
walked right out once this was done, using water pressure from the
grease gun.  I have thought about fabricating this clamp every time
I've had to do this miserable job, I finally got around to it!

With the sticky caliper all apart I got all the rust sanded out of the
parts (outside the seal) so the pucks would slide easily again.  They
fit nicely into their bores and will now slip out under gravity.  The
rubber parts were actually in fairly good shape.  I'll still replace
it with the kits', but I will keep the old rubber for jalopy use.  I
blew dry everything that I didn't want to rust and set it aside for
tomorrow.  A little WD-40 went into the acme screws of the clamps and
the grease gun guts.  (I need to get a big bolt so that I only need
one C clamp for this operation.)

I may want to paint the part of the calipers where the rubber water
seal goes on.  Perhaps this will seal better keeping it drier inside
and preventing further rust?

-- Jim