To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2007 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Just bought a 1980 450sl

You could try running a jump wire or screwdriver across the solenoid
terminals.

But before you tear anything up, get a socket on the balancer bolt and
see if it will turn by hand. If it's been sitting a long time, it may be
a bit stuck. If it won't turn without too much force, take the plugs out
and pour some marvel oil in there and let it sit a few days and try
again. It only takes a drop or two of condensation on the rings while an
engine is sitting for a long time to make one not want to turn after
sitting. Soaking will usually prevent scoring on the cylinders or
tearing up the rings.

We're getting a nasty thunderstorm here too. I'm trying to put a new
water heater in our 5th wheel and it started pouring out there.

Break time!

------Robert

The Wakin's wrote:
Just got back from picking up a 1980 450SL. The car is in pretty good shape, but presently will not start. The car sat all winter, and does not even turn over. No clicking, and with the headights on and turning the key, the lights do not dim. I am thinking the starter is froze, or solenoid is locked up. I
did tap on it a bit with a hammer, but no results.

I have it on the charger now, and we are getting a thunderstorm so I headed
in to seek the advise of the list. Anyone have any suggestions of what to
check?

Thanks,

Dave Wakin

97 e320