Dunno, depends on it's position when it breaks, I guess. There is a special tool to manually close the sunroof should it break. Below is an old post on the subject. For this reason, I've never used the tilt feature on any of my cars so equipped.

Tom

[MB] sunroof not working on 126 (300 SDL)
Bill Brandt wlb at lanset.com
Wed Feb 20 18:28:04 MST 2002

I might add to what Richard has said - I recently had to have my 86 300E
sunroof repaired and I remember enough from the list to not even consider
trying to "fix it" myself - I took it to a good independent who has done
several dozen of these and here is the summary of what I learned:

1. The pop up function is what breaks these sunroofs. The mechanism (frame)
that stops the roof is basically pot metal (as original) and when you hit
the tilt function there is no kill switch to stop the motor/pressure - and
over the years this is what causes the  breaks.

2. The newer parts are improved but still a compromise.

3. If you never use the tilt function your sunroof will last forever

4. If you try and fix it yourself, or continue to use it you will bend a tub
that the cable is in between the headliner and roof and your repair bill
goes up considerably. Worst case - they have to remove the headliner.

5. I got a $150 discount over the estimate for not making it worse once the
symptoms developed...Sort of a "you didn't screw it up worse" discount ;-)

6. Ernie (Ernst) said that I can use the pop up function with the
new/improved parts - just be aware that that as long as you hold the switch
it is applying pressure. No cut off once the stop is reached.

Personally I wish they hadn't come out with this "pop up" feature - but
there you have it...

Bill

Mike Ohlman said:

"any words of wisdom on why the sunroof quit working on my 87 300 SDL?  The
pop up function will work, but when you try to open it in the normal
fashion the passenger side drops down but the drivers side stays fully up.
If you keep holding the switch the fuse will blow.  Any BTDT?"

Good evening, Mike --

Check the archives.  I posted a long post about it several years ago after
my wrestling match.  Don't remember what all I said, but the gist was: "the
learning curve is way to high to scale for a DIYer and the benefits (one
sunroof repair every 15 years) are not worth the ascent."  Oh yeah, this
applies only to post-86 MBs (the sliding-only tops are a POC (piece of cake)
compared to the Rube Goldberg-inspired pop-up sunroofs).  A tip while we're
on the subject: to ensure longevity of post-86s, manuall assist the rear
when you utilize the pop-up feature.  Stop the switch immediately when it is
raised up.  Same going down.  Same front, same rear.  They are "tender" and
have a definite length of life.

Richard Easley
Waco, Texas

This message is from the Mercedes-Benz Discussion List
-----------This list is sponsored by Performance Products------------
Parts and Accessories for Mercedes (r)  Catalogs 1-800-243-1220
http://www.performanceproducts.com/default.asp?referer=1026&source=TXX2T35