Thanks guys, it all makes sense now!   The compressor is a Zexel
DKV-14D, which looks from a quick Google search to be found on a
number of other Japanese cars.  Should be plentiful in junkyards, I
guess.  Anybody know if these can be rebuilt, though, or if I could
maybe even replace it with ye olde stone-cold-reliable York?

Yorks are hard to fit in cars that weren't intended to take them.
They need a pretty beefy bracket, the lack of cylinders makes them
'throbby', and I think that can work them loose with time.

-- Jim