Yeah, that's what I thought was logical - why put a hole in a good boot. But
I wondered if even boots that aren't torn could be dried up inside from
desert living?

You could snake the needle up along between the boot and the metal
it's supposed to clamp to.

The reason I'm pursuing this is that I have loud creaking in the front end and have not found a mechanic around here that likes to work on these cars. So I started to think that perhaps a good lubing of the suspension could
help prolong the life of the creaky components. I have not isolated the
creaks.

The customary treatment involves spraying water successively on
likely suspects and then seeing if things improve for a few minutes
or so.  Once they're creaky they're shot, usually full of rust, and
any greasing is to be a SHORT TERM proposition while you line up a\
proper replacement.

Unless you don't think having functional steering and suspension
components is all that important to your continued ability to
suck and blow air.

-- Jim