> Here in Washington State we must pay sales tax on new or used cars (natch)
> from a dealer at 8.9% and on used cars, from out of state or not, at the same
> rate as part of the registration process. As I recall, the tax on out of state
> purchases is called use tax but at the same rate.
>
> On new cars, the sales tax is calculated after the trade-in allowance is
> deducted. So, when my C320 is traded later this year, I could save perhaps
$1600
> in tax.
>
> RLE

Nothing quite like being taxed twice for the same thing.  In the vast
majority of states fuel taxes aren't committed to roads but instead
the general funds trough at which our duly elected representatives
feed.

There are a few exceptions where fuel taxes must be used for
transportation use- Tennessee is one that comes to mind.  Driving into
TN from Virginia on I-81 one finds dramatically better roads.
Unfortunately, my state (or, ahem , Commonwealth) of Pennsylvania is
not one of those states that earmark fuel taxes for transportation.
While PA has lost the title of Worst Roads in the US , we're still
second worst.

There's always next year...

Tony Wirtel