It seems than at Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:40:15 -0400, Mitch wrote:
> Allan Streib wrote:
> >
> > I don't think you can get internet from the sattelite companies, or if
> > you can I think it requires you to use your phone for the upload side.
> > Unless that's changed since I last heard anything about it...
>
> There is one-way sattelite such as you describe, and there is two-way.
> Two way costs more, and you MUST have it professionally installed, it's
> illegal for you to set up a sat transmitter in your own yard. Either
> way, you get weather outages and speed of light time delays. The time
> delay doesn't really matter unless you are playing action games or
> trading the financial markets.

The time delay - called latency - is a factor even if all you do is
normal browsing. Because each page causes many request/reply actions,
the extra latency can really slow stuff down. My good friend just got
DSL in his area and so he signed up for that instead of the 2-way
satellite he had been using. He told me the satellite was only a
little faster than dialup for heavy request/reply activity, as so DSL
is _way_ faster. But when downloading a CD iso image, the DSL is
noticeably slower.

--              Philip