On 6/19/07, Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > This is why they are banned -- minor rear-ender turns into a window
> > removing blast.
>
> But that is, of course, not why a consortium of industries
> pushed for the ban.  FUD is alive and well in our legislative
> arena.  I do not believe that there is a particularly high risk
> associated with an HC refrigerant.  As has been proven, R12
> systems were actually quite flammable, and let us not discount
> experiences with propane-powered vehicles, and highly-pressurized
> gasoline systems.  (FI systems.)  Propane et al. are not even
> particularly flammable except in a rather narrow range of
> fuel/air ratios.  Unlike gasoline.

HC refrigerants are legal in Canada and Australia and probably lots of
other places, too... not just legal, in fact, but the approved
replacement for R12.   I think if cars were detonating like Pintos in
every minor fender-bender in those places, we'd hear about it.

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo
'93 Isuzu Trooper
'86 Lincoln Mark VII LSC