I cleaned off the vacuum pump in the solvent tank, that took a lot of
scrubbing!  (It's a lot cheaper than using brake cleaner, which is for
the things that can't make it to the tank.)  I did use brake cleaner
to sluice off the solvent at the end, but that doesn't take much.  I
squirted a bit of oil into the bearings, then installed the vacuum
pump, I reused its (paper) gasket.  It's much easier to put the pump
on if you rotate the engine to a low point in the pump's cam cycle.

That was so much fun I then vacuumed off the injector area and used
brake cleaner to clean off the worst of the gunk.  I vacuumed out the
intake ports, and used fingers and rags to try to get off the worst of
the caked-on EGR slime.  That was messy.

I then used a screwdriver to wedge the throttle on all the way and
cranked the engine.  I got little fuel fountains out of all (I think)
of the injector ports on the IP.  I'd wanted to do that to make sure
it was primed, and to make sure to blow out any junk that might have
gotten down in there.  I used brake cleaner to hose out the injectors
themselves.

The valve cover and its gasket then made the trip to the solvent tank.
The gasket, once cleaned with a scrub brush, seemed very good and was
still quite pliable.  I installed the valve cover using the old
gasket.  Another quick round of brake cleaner followed to clean off
the solvent, etc.  I'm down to my last can of the case, and am trying
to conserve.

The engine's starting to look pretty good!  I laid rags over the
intake ports and the injection pump to keep out dust.  I think it's
just about time to make a parts order, I need an intake manifold gasket,
the rubber blowby manifold parts, the injection line clips and bumpers,
and two brake reservoir grommets.

Does anybody have a photograph or description of how the manual
transmission 601/602's throttle damper attaches?  Craig sent me
a nice picture from a 617, but it turns out that it's completely
different on this 602.  I think that I might be missing a bracket
or something that carries the upper stationary ball joint.  I
didn't see any place to put a ball joint on the IP body itself.

-- Jim