Yes - I have several M Leica's. They are GREAT cameras! I've been
shooting (and trading) Leica's since 1976. The "Leica feel" is
legendary, and yes, I'd say it's the Mercedes of cameras. The range
finder is different - you get used to it, then miss it with other
camera types. You can see what's moving into view before you shoot,
you can see if eyes were closed when shooting weddings, focus is more
accurate with wide angle lenses, and with the exception of the last
two models, no battery is required! The lack of a mirror box reduces
the number of compromises in lens design - they can put the rear lens
where it ought to be.

The less expensive (there is no such thing as a cheap Leica) digital
cameras are built by Panasonic, and the Panasonic digital cameras have
Leica lenses. The M8 is classic Leica though. It can use the 1949
50mm/f3.5 Leica lens I have -- and most lenses since then.

The M8 is way too much money unless you make your living as a photo
journalist, or have too much money.

One of the strong points about a Leica (like a Mercedes) is that a
well cared for used one is as good as a new one. None of mine were
purchased new. Same with the lenses. The glass has no equal -
experienced photographers can distinguish a print  from a negative
shot in a Leica - a certain corner-to-corner smoothness and even
contrast. The 50mm/f1 Noctolux is an astounding lens - it captures
detail that you can't see.

After all that, I find myself shooting the Panasonic FZ30 more than
the Leicas now - don't have to develop and print film. I guess if I
sold all the M bodies and a Mercedes or two I could buy an M 8.

I do have a Leitz Focomat IIc enlarger that I'm seriously thinking of
selling - it's the 126 of enlargers. The Reprovit II is also available
- serious copy stand that takes an M body.
For that matter, I haven't used the Linhof 8X10 in two years-- it
should go also.

--
OK Don, KD5NRO
Norman, OK