On 6/29/07, Curt Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Fred's AC question makes me think of my '96 Dodge which has never had any AC
> work done to it. It seems like its not cooling so well anymore, whats the
> wisdom on this? There are kits that come with a gauge, presumeably they come
> with instructions. Presumably this kind of kit is pretty stupid proof?
> Anybody got a link that might be helpful?

Yup, my thinking as regards diagnosis of post-'96 A/C systems is that
R134a is so cheap that you might as well try the
mixed-oil-and-refrigerant-with-a-gauge can at McParts before you do
anything else.   They are as idiotproof as anything involving
pressurized explosive stuff can be!  R134a systems have different
sized fittings for the high and low pressure side, so there is little
danger of hooking up the can to the wrong side.  You just screw the
attached fitting to the low side on the car, start the engine, turn
the A/C on, hold the can upside down, press the valve on the can, and
wait for the gauge provided to read in the green zone.

If the system cools nicely after that, everything's good.  If
performance declines rapidly, you have a leak somewhere.  If it
doesn't cool at all, something is wrong other than the charge (maybe
an electrical issue keeping the compressor from turning on when it
should, or a stuck heater valve).

Alex Chamberlain
'87 300D Turbo
'93 Isuzu Trooper