I am willing to hazard that a lighter color does reduce heat gain.
Gump is Dunkel Grun exterior with standard black Tex interior.  I got
a bug up my --s a few years ago that she would look better with a tan
interior, so got the rattle can and went to town.  Prior to the new
color, summer heat in the cabin was excessive if the car had sat
sealed for much of the morning.  With the lighter color, she is
stuffy, but not as hot.  I am going to install a dual interior/
exterior thermostat and see how hot she gets.

The E300D is dark blue with tan interior.  She gets warm as well, but
not blistering hot.  Both cars are great heat sinks with the dark
colors, and metal body parts are not fun to rub against with bare
tummy in summer.  Really great for rinsing off dirt, because they dry
fast.

A bad thing with the dark, there is a decrease in life span for clear
coat.  Might be poorly applied, but both Gump and the ED are having
roof clear coat issues.  I am in the process of giving Gump a
freshening of coat.  I used a razor scraper to remove the flakey
edges of the huge blisters and wet sanded to smooth the transitions.
Her original green was getting really faded.  Took three rattle cans
of clear coat to give her a nice splotchy coating.  Waiting for it to
cure, then will wet sand with 1500 to give her back some shine.

clay