Robert wrote....
<snip>

> I don't know how to test the control box independent of the rest of the
> ignition, but if the ignition
> switch, coil, pulse generator and ignition cable are good, all that is left
> is the ignition control box.
>
> Try another control box.  Problem should go away.  Good luck.

I an '85 500 SEL that had a wonky control box- first, when it was a
turn over but no-start, tapping the box would get a few firings.
Pulled the box, re-soldered the pin-to-board mountings, and it fired
up without problems.  WARNING- the box was not really meant to be
disassembled, and took some doing to get apart.

Don't know long term results but it worked for me the three more weeks
I had the car and drove it every day.  There was something about
getting 12MPG on premium that I didn't like, and this was 5 years
ago!!

Tony Wirtel