For many years, Generac ("Genecrap" as they were known
in the industry) tried hard to compete with us big
boys in the spec market, something they were never
successful at.  However, they finally got their act
together anc concentrated on the consumer side, where
they have been very successful with the small home
standby units.

I have a good friend that's a Generac distributor who
sells tons of these things.  I knnow that the big box
retailers like Home Despot do as well.  They're very
well designed and packaged, and if I wanted a small
stationary home standby unit with a transfer switch
("switchover gear") I would probably go with one.

As for LP as a fuel, the choices are no-brainers,
mainly due to the storage issues.  The only bad thing
about gaseous fuels is the lower BTU content, but the
manufacturers have taken that into consideration when
sizing engines.

Dan

--- Scott Ritchey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I think fuel is a critical issue.  Given the
> long-term storage problems with
> gasoline and Diesel fuel, I opted for a 15KW
> commercial (Generac) package
> that runs on propane.  I have a 500gal underground
> tank that I also use for
> cooking and emergency heat. It's a lot less fun, but
> the Generac package
> comes with switchover gear, etc and is relatively
> easy to install.
>
> Scott Ritchey

FareChase.
http://farechase.yahoo.com/