Zoltan Finks wrote:
> This should be an easy one:
>
> When the 240D is not warmed up yet, and I try to take off on a hill, I
> get this shuddering and it loses power. I am thinking it feels like
> the clutch is slipping (but I thought clutch slippage was a more
> smooth loss of power and resultant engine revving).
>
> Could it be that the engine is not warmed up enough to produce
> sufficient power for the task and is thus sort of giving up?
>
> I think I have a good clutch in there. Can a cold clutch act like this?
>
> Anyway, I'll stop theorizing and let the question stand.

The engine being cold exaggerates ANY aspect of the system that isn't
operating properly. If the injector spray pattern or pressure isn't
within the tolerable range, both power and idle smoothness will be
degraded. This may not be evident when the engine is warmed up. The
clutch may not be in good condition (which may be much exaggerated when
cold). If the damper to the injection pump linkage isn't present or has
worn out there can be a shudder when starting out, especially when cold.

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)